Monday, May 15, 2006

Don't think it's me.

God apparently wants me to know I can do nothing except by His power. I sat in church and felt absolutely clobbered by the very idea after the pastor announced that I was going to play the piano and the anointing was going to flow. My heart absolutely choked on the idea that everyone would be listening expecting something heavenly, and instead they would hear me. I can't play the piano. I really honestly can't. But God, when I sit down to play, allows me to play. In that sinking moment, I realized how easily God could humble me before the entire congregation. All He has to do is turn off whatever He turns on in me and poof, the magic has ended and everyone wonders why I would dare to play as though I presumed to have ability.
I am nothing. Absolutely nothing. Save God anoint and work, I can't even clumsily get something right. It is only God.
So, as a rare thing, I am going to leave you today with a prayer.

Father God, forgive me. Forgive me the pride and arrogance of my heart that would self-righteously assume that I am better than I am. I am nothing without You Lord. In my own self I am wretched and wicked and so many other horrible things that I can't even begin to name. See me Father, look down and consider how pitiful I am and have mercy on me. In Your love grant me undeserved and blessed mercy. Take this wretched vessel and somehow in Your mercy, let me make a difference.
Thank You for Your grace that moved You to capture my heart. Move me Lord, and use me. Remind me daily of Your strength in me and humble me. In all things, You are good, and gracious, and merciful.
In the name of Your son, Jesus Christ, I come to You. - Amen.

1 comment:

Flyawaynet said...

Thank you.
I can't tell you how grateful I am that God gave a quiet introvert like me a talent that gives me an easy in to a lot of churches.
I can't imagine not being able to play.