Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Ruth - Following something stronger than your heart. - Part 2

A second thing that I couldn't help but hear a difference in was the wording used on something. And maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I couldn't help but wonder about it some.

Boaz says: "Go not to glean in another field, neither go from hence, but abide here fast by my maidens: " Verse 8

Ruth tells Naomi about what Boaz says: "He said unto me also, Thou shalt keep fast by my young men, until they have ended all my harvest. " Verse 21

Naomi responds to Ruth: "It is good, my daughter, that thou go out with his maidens, that they meet thee not in any other field. " Verse 22

Verse 23 says "So she kept fast by the maidens of Boaz to glean unto the end of barley harvest and of wheat harvest; and dwelt with her mother in law."

I would have left it alone, but something Boaz said later caught my attention:
Chapter 3:10 "And he (Boaz) said, Blessed be thou of the LORD, my daughter: for thou hast shewed more kindness in the latter end than at the beginning, inasmuch as thou followedst not young men, whether poor or rich."

It made me wonder about wonderful, virtuous little Ruth as to whether or not she was kinda hoping for someone else besides Boaz. If your husband says "I'm glad you didn't follow young men" I'm guessing he's not so young himself. So, curiously enough, I wonder if Boaz wasn't her first choice. Maybe the strong laborers in his field had caught her wandering mind and said with a smile "they'll certainly do" and wanted to "keep fast by the young men".

Our choices and our own hearts lead us towards beautiful and interesting things at times. Our hearts and desires can be intense sometimes. And it seems like the entire world is telling you to "follow your heart". But sometimes there is something stonger and more secure than following our own hearts and passions. There are noble causes that say give up your life rather than follow your passions.
In this case despite her words and possible desire to 'keep fast after the young men" she did exactly as she was instructed and "kept fast to the maidens".

And Boaz was grateful.

And Naomi was honored.

And Ruth stepped gracefully and with strength of character into the very blood lines of Jesus the Messiah

No comments: