Monday, April 10, 2006

In the image of love

I received an e-mail this past week that intrigued me. It was all about how God loves us outrageously.
It is your job,' says the Lord, 'to be loved
outrageously. It is why I chose you. That is why I set
my love upon you, that you would live as one who is
outrageously loved, that you would receive a radical
love, so radical that it will blow all your paradigms
of what you think love is.
And know this,' says the Lord, 'I will love you
outrageously all the days of your life because I don't
know how to be any different. This is who I am, and
this is who I will always be. This is the I Am I
promised you. I am He that loves you outrageously

It made me wonder... if we're in the image of God and that is the ultimate image of Love itself, is that why in the absence of love we get so messed up?
We spend our lives craving and seeking out others to love us, and accept us. It's as natural in us as breathing. We crave and work for love with the same passion and determination that we crave food, sleep, and water. It is in us to be loved.
Think of Hannah, wanting to have a child to love but not having one. Her craving and desire to love someone gave her the desire to create someone to love. Imagine God loving us, craving an outlet for His love in that same way? Granted, we're here to worship Him, but ultimately, worshipping Him comes from loving Him.
It may not mean anything to you. I just know this meant something interesting to me. It is easy for me to tell myself that I'm created in the image of God. I was raised in church, and religious phrases roll off my tongue (with or without meaning) quite easily. But the idea of being created in the image of love made me think. If I'm created in the image of Love, I need to reflect love. Period. There isn't room for self and pride where love is. Love has you running in front of a car to snatch a child. Love has you sacrificing your life savings to buy your uncle one more run at chemotherapy, love has you attempt the impossible, improbable, and seemingly foolish with no return required. A return on our love is expected, and hoped for, but with love, that return isn't required.
Love sacrificed His Son to die for me, so that one day, maybe I would choose to love Love also. But not just any love, the God of love.
1 John 4:16 And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him

No comments: