Friday, April 21, 2006

What is your heart saying?

Luke 6:43For a good tree bringeth not forth corrupt fruit; neither doth a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. For every tree is known by his own fruit. For of thorns men do not gather figs, nor of a bramble bush gather they grapes. A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh. And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say? Whosoever cometh to me, and heareth my sayings, and doeth them, I will shew you to whom he is like: He is like a man which built an house, and digged deep, and laid the foundation on a rock: and when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently upon that house, and could not shake it: for it was founded upon a rock. But he that heareth, and doeth not, is like a man that without a foundation built an house upon the earth; against which the stream did beat vehemently, and immediately it fell; and the ruin of that house was great.

Out of the abundance of my heart, I will speak. This week I have been almost overcome with absolute joy over God's goodness to me. And I noticed I was able to catch myself several times before I spoke badly about others. Yet, even in my state of joy I know there were several occasions where I said something negative about someone else. I've got a good treasure in my heart. This is the greatest treasure that I can imagine, and yet still I struggle to "bring forth that which is good".
I know the struggle with evil will never end, but, we need to do everything we can to make sure we're actually still in the struggle. So let me ask you a few questions:
When you woke up this morning, and went to work, were you considering God? Or were you considering the radio station, the news, your kids, your finances, your cars mechanical failures, etc. etc. etc.?
Do you daily SEEK God to make you more like Him? I'm very serious about this. So many of us will answer yes on this question, but have you actually spoken to God today and said, "Make me more like You"? Do you daily take your self and all your selfish ways and repent before God? When is the last time you went to God and just confessed that you truly need Him in your life? And hardest yet (for me at least) when you speak, do you weigh the words coming from your mouth? Whether truth or lie, do you measure them by the standard of GOOD treasure, or EVIL treasure? I can speak the truth and still have evil treasure coming from my mouth because God knows the intentions of my heart.
Our words are so important, but I don't think we realize just how important they really are. The bible says in James chapter 1, If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain.
I don't want to simply seem to be religious and yet have vain religion because I don't bridle my tongue.
This concept is important to me, especially important to me as I know how quickly words of judgement and criticism leap to my foolish tongue. So I want to leave you with a prayer today...

Father God, whatever I do today please don't let me deceive myself. Let me see my actions with open eyes, let me hear my words with open ears and help me, through You, to judge the treasure that comes from me today. More than anything else, I pray desperately, that I might bring forth treasure that pleases You. Change my heart Father, help it burn with righteous and holy love for those that are around me, that they might see a glimpse of You through this imperfect child. In the Holy name of Your Son, Jesus Christ, Amen.

No comments: