Saturday, November 08, 2008

A confession and a question...

I'd like some help if anyone knows the answer to this question.

I love symbolism. I love analogies. I appreciate the ability to use words in such a way that if you considered them the had more than one meaning (and I don't mean in a devious way).
I like having to think about what people said.

That said, I'm embarrassed to admit that I don't have a clue what Casting Crowns is talking about when they ask "how far the east is from the west, from one scarred hand to another"

I sing along to the song, and I appreciate the fact that I should get the phrase... but I just don't.
I don't get it.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Here's the whole chorus, and a link to the song "East to West" in case you somehow haven't heard it.
Jesus, can You show me just how far the east is from the west' cause I can't bear to see the man I've been come rising up in me again in the arms of Your mercy I find rest' cause You know just how far the east is from the west from one scarred hand to the other

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Alright, well the first thing I'd say is that most modern music isn't really meant to have "meaning" really. Just sound good. You have to admit, without really knowing what it means it kinda sounds good. But anyway, here's my stab at it. The whole "east from the west" is, of course a reference to the scripture that says as far as the east is from the west so far has he removed our sins from us. Sooooo to interpret: Jesus tell me how far you cast my sin away, cause I don't want to see that sin bubbling back up inside of me. How far have you cast away my sin as far apart as the east is from the west, as great a distance and the span of your arms on the cross.
Anyway, that's my take.