Wednesday, March 20, 2013

What's your dream job?

The other day at work, I asked my co-worker what his dream job is. His out of the blue response? I would like to live in Washington (state) and take people out for tours on my fishing boat.

It stopped me in my tracks for a moment because for the life of me, he didn't strike me as the "Skipper" kinda guy. But the more I think about it, the more I can absolutely picture it. White shorts, sunglasses, uber blond, and a warm gray day with him climbing into his boat. I can absolutely see it.

So I asked him: "What's stopping you?

He has savings, already has a boat, debt free, and single.

Fear of failure.

That was it. Openly admitted it.

"I could crash and burn and lose all my money"

I reminded him, that he could also be happy. He wholeheartedly agreed to that.
But still is scared to chase his dream job.

Seeing as I just turned in my 2 weeks notice to the professional world and am praying God will provide while I attempt to raise my daughters full time..... I'm becoming a bit of an experiment for him. Right now, all he sees is that I've quit my job, and am a little crazy with  happy right now.

Sitting in your cube, your desk, your construction site, your school is important. But what's more important is to be where you were created to be. God designed us with a purpose in mind and once you find yours it's time to go do it. That's where you'll find happiness and peace - even if you don't find fame and fortune.

But as I wandered over to Amazon to order him a captains hat so I can give it to him as a goodbye present on my last day - I started to wonder about others:
What job do you have, and what is your dream job?

No comments: