Thursday, November 19, 2009

I walked into the middle of a discussion group on the book "The Bait of Satan" by John Bevere the other night and ended up at a terrific table of ladies.
Part of the subject matter went to the moment (Luke 22:21-24) when Jesus tells his disciples that one of them would betray Him. They immediately begin saying "Who is it?"
Then, just one verse later they're fighting about who would be the greatest in Gods Kingdom.

The point was made that these two seemingly unrelated topics were probably strung together by one statement.

"Well, I obviously wouldn't be the one to betray Him."

When faced with the idea that someone in the room was going to do something utterly despicable , the conversation turns to how they would never do something that awful, which then leads to which one of them is better than all the rest.

In my own life, too often, I've seen a way to make a joke of something/someone; or I've seen a way to put down or, at the very least, doubt the validity of some ministries. I've struggled (and still struggle) with going to new churches without having that skepticism in my heart as to whether or not these people actually love God. As though that distinction is mine to make and it can be made in 2 hours time. I've judged people by groups. When I know I wouldn't want my passion for Christ to be judged by some of churches I've attended.

It's hard to get out of a judgmental mindset. Hard to keep from thinking along the lines of my preconceived notions and simply leave myself open.
Because ultimately, when I make myself the judge like that it's easy for me to be an exact replica of the disciples as they say "I wouldn't do that, matter of fact I might even be among the greatest of us all. I guess I've got this all down pat now."

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to go remind myself that this post must be referring to the old me, for surely I'm too good for this kind of behavior now.

...Harumph... I wish

No comments: