Tuesday, June 15, 2010

3 Lessons about a blind mans story

I was reading a story from John 9 about the blind man, and I want to share it:



And as Jesus passed by, he saw a man which was blind from his birth.
And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind?
Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him.
I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world.
When he had thus spoken, he spat on the ground, and made clay of the spittle, and he anointed the eyes of the blind man with the clay,
And said unto him, Go, wash in the pool of Siloam, (which is by interpretation, Sent.) He went his way therefore, and washed, and came seeing.
The neighbours therefore, and they which before had seen him that he was blind, said, Is not this he that sat and begged?
Some said, This is he: others said, He is like him: but he said, I am he.


Lesson 1: I am he.
Too often when we get saved or pulled out of our addictions and filth we pretend "That wasn't me". We hide our nasty past, the filth and stain. We hide that we begged on the street corner. We hide that we hid our Playboys under the mattress. We hide that we did jail time. We hide that we were people that you wouldn't want to know.

Not this man. Is this he that sat and begged? They weren't sure, but he made sure they knew. "I am he."
Claim your past and all it's gory nastiness to the glory of God. You were who you were, but now you ARE what He's made you.

The story continues...


Therefore said they unto him, How were thine eyes opened?
He answered and said, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed mine eyes, and said unto me, Go to the pool of Siloam, and wash: and I went and washed, and I received sight.


Lesson 2: "A man that is called Jesus..."
That's how his story starts. Mine would have started with "I'd been blind for a long time and was begging, but I'd heard about this man called Jesus that could heal..."
He took the "I" right out of the story and began the focus where it should be. It's words that give me tingles when I imagine how many stories can start with that. What happened?? "Well, let me tell you - A man called Jesus..."
When people asked how your life turned around, how black sin became white as snow - they're not really asking about you. They're asking where to get some. Start the story where it belongs.

And the story goes on...

Then said they unto him, Where is he? He said, I know not.


Lesson 3: "I don't know"
Give me one good encounter with God and I'll write a thousand posts on how to get close to Him and enjoy His presence. But the truth is, sometimes there are questions about God we can't answer. We just don't know. Forget human answers, and when you don't know simply tell the truth. "I don't know." There are bookstores full of man-made ideas on how to find peace, how to live your best life now, how to run your home and family and remain pure and keep your wife happy. We're a generation with answers. If we don't know we'll simply google it and have an answer in 0.28 seconds with 1,992,375,092 results.
Learn to say "I don't know." Because truthfully, we need to stop looking to pastors, teachers, friends, supports for all our answers about God and how to find Him and walk with Him - and ask God. All those supports are good, but when used as an alternative to simply asking God they are a poor substitute that leave you lacking the real answers you need.

*Story found John 9:1-12 and beyond*

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great post!!

Flyawaynet said...

Thanks Christie, I appreciate you commenting!