Saturday, July 17, 2010

How to make yourself not sick.

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones Proverbs 16:24

It's a natural talent I have to completely freak out while sitting perfectly calmly. I didn't have any special training for it, though life did give me enough experience to perfect the art, and perfected it I certainly have.
I was at work when something happened to completely throw me a curve. I flipped out. I cried, I ranted, I moved out of state, I quit my job, I said all those things that you wish you could say but you can't, I ran away from home. Suffice it to say I had my own personal meltdown: and it all took place in my mind. I simply sat there, staring at my computer screen, clicking buttons to process my claim while I melted down.
As I regained control of my mind, before I got to the point where I would eventually remind myself that God is in control; something strange happened:
I began sweating.
Then I got the chills.
Then my stomach got queasy.
Then I felt a rush of heat and began sweating again.

Then I ran for the bathroom.

I'm not one who gets sick a lot. And I can't remember the last time that I threw up for no good reason. As I began pondering things that you only ponder while sitting on the nasty floor of a public restroom I knew, deep down, that I had done this to myself. My attitude and my emotions affected my body.
And I began remembering all the different ways Solomon finds to say that our words, wisdom, and attitudes affect our bodies. So, keep in mind when I say this I know that obviously it's not true in every case. Sometimes I'm sick and I know why I'm sick and it's no big deal. But on that day, I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that my attitude had made me sick.

So next time you're suffering from something mild (I won't name things off lest you jump on me saying that you've got it and it's nothing to call mild) I want you to ask yourself if there's a good reason for it or if maybe your attitude has caused it.
Fear:
We all know by now the negative effects of fear, stress, and anxiety to our bodies. Angina, Arrhythmias, asthma, allergies, high blood pressure, irritable bowel, tension headaches, strokes, impotence, insomnia, diabetes, prostatitis, malabsorption, eczema are but a few of the many diseases known to be stress related.


Anger:
It is important to understand what happens to the body when one becomes angry. In a moment of anger, you may experience muscle tension, grinding of teeth and teeth clenching, ringing in the ears, flushing, higher blood pressure, chest pains, excessive sweating, chills, severe headaches or migraines.


With chronic anger people can also experience peptic ulcers, constipation, diarrhea, intestinal cramping, hiccups, chronic indigestion, heart attacks, strokes, kidney problems, obesity, and frequent colds. Medical experts have found the heart muscle is affected by anger, and anger can actually reduce the heart's ability to properly pump blood.


The results of prolonged anger can harm the body's largest organ, the skin. People who hold in their anger often have skin diseases such as rashes, hives, warts, eczema and acne. Researchers have studied the relationship of anger and skin disorders and discovered that when a person resolves his anger, skin disorders dramatically improve.


One of the major effects anger has on the body is the release of chemicals and hormones, primarily the adrenaline and non-adrenaline. The adrenaline hormones act on all organs that reach the sympathetic nervous system, stimulating the heart, dilating the coronary vessels, constricting blood vessels in the intestines, and shutting off digestion.


These are just two of the main ones people struggle with. But our bad attitudes are killing us. Maybe your issues are due to something different - but I know at least some of you out there, like me, sometimes make your own problems for yourselves. And I think changing the way we think is a good place to start.

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things Philippians 4:8

No comments: