Friday, March 31, 2006

The visually-impaired Christian.

I can't even walk
Without You holding my hand.
The mountain's too high,
And the valley's too wide.
Down on my knees
I learned to stand
Because I can't even walk,
Without You holding my hand.

Have you heard that song before? Do you believe it? Do you really think you can't make it without God?
It seems like we rely so much on what we've determined to be our own strength. Our own abilities. If we make it through a situation where there doesn't seem to be a massive spiritual breakthrough we really just assume we've done this on our own.

Feel free to take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt, because I haven't quite formulated the entire concept in my mind yet. But :)
If you're walking "on your own" minus the amazing power of God, 1) You're not really walking on your own, He's always there, and it's always His strength we use to make it through every situation, because all things were made by him including you and your mind and your talents. And 2) In comparison to what you could be doing, you're only crawling - not walking.
In the power of God there is strength and purpose, and a clarity that brings new ideas and awareness to you. When you walk without that, it's like walking through a dark hallway. You may stumble and fall, stub your toe or you might just make it to your destination by feeling blindly at the walls. Let me tell you this: There was a much easier way
Just this week I was convicted about how unkind I am. My actions are often kind, but out of the abundance of my heart so my mouth speaks. And I've realized how often I criticize just random people walking by my office, people coming in the office, virtually any random person unfortunate enough to be in my path that I can find fault with (which is almost anyone!).
James says 1:26 If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain.
James 3:4 Behold also the ships, which though they be so great, and are driven of fierce winds, yet are they turned about with a very small helm, whithersoever the governor listeth.
5Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth!
6And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell.
7For every kind of beasts, and of birds, and of serpents, and of things in the sea, is tamed, and hath been tamed of mankind:
8But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.
9Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God.
10Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
11Doth a fountain send forth at the same place sweet water and bitter?
12Can the fig tree, my brethren, bear olive berries? either a vine, figs? so can no fountain both yield salt water and fresh.
13Who is a wise man and endued with knowledge among you? let him shew out of a good conversation his works with meekness of wisdom.

I've said all that just to say...just because you think you're getting through something, or that you're doing well, doesn't mean that that is the way that God sees you.

1 comment:

Mike Greenberg said...

Powerful Message even years later!