Thursday, September 21, 2006

Is it really tradition?

There is a story about a family who always cut meatloaf in half before putting it in the oven. One day a man came over for dinner and being curious he asked why they cut the meatloaf in half before putting it in the oven, is there some secret that helps the meatloaf, wouldn't it cause it to be more dry? The cook of the family said good point and I'm not sure why, I've just always have done it that way and is the way I was taught by my mother.

Later they went to visit great grandma and decided to ask her why she use to cut the meatloaf in half before putting in in the oven and she answered "Because those darn stoves are too small to put the whole thing in at one time, you have to cook half later"

Turned out, the stoves were smaller in the old days.

Moral of the story, tradition is silly if there is no reason behind it - and one should know what that reason is.


So is it a tradition or just the simplest way to do things? And if so, to continue on in the spirit of those who came up with the way to do things, wouldn't you continually be coming up with new ways to do something as better ways become available?

This beings me back to what I was saying a few days ago. With legalism you must be bound or you're not saved. Anti-legalism tells us that with salvation comes freedom.
Matthew chapter 11 verses 28 - 30 read "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."
We can go to Him and He will give us rest. The next sentence doesn't come with an "IF". It appears to be entirely optional "Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me". If you take the verses literally, it comes out as
Go to Christ - Find rest.
Take up Christs' yoke, learn of Him and His meek and lowly spirit - Our souls find rest.
I don't want to stray too far off my point by making sure I'm clear about my belief in the two different phrases and their meanings. Technically the main point is in that very last sentence "My yoke is easy, and my burden is light." There is a yoke and a burden. It's up to us whether we take it up or not, but if we're trying to grow and change we should take up His yoke.

At least that's why I'm trying to do. I want to take up my cross.

No comments: