Tuesday, September 19, 2006

What is important?

I received two interesting responses on my last post that instantly brought a reply to my lips so I'm going to respond in a post rather than a comment (since I'm not sure anyone reads the comments). The ideas presented excite me to no end, and I enjoy a lively *though blogged* conversation so please keep commenting!

In the first comment I read, they said "Seeing as Christ is trying to work on my heart, my mind, when I think I Him I do some more in terms of his spirit not his physical existence. It is the physical part which mankind could and did attack." Isn't this just a perfect statement that shows that it's the physical life that brings mans attention to you? It was the physical part of the man that OneSided mentioned speaking with a soft voice that got peoples attention. Would they have realized the gentle spirit within had he not initially grabbed their attention?
Maybe sacrificing the physical life we'd rather lead for one that draws attention would give us more opportunities to be a witness?
You'll find the opportunities fewer and farther between when you aren't leading a life any different from THEM. You watch the same movies as them, go to the same places as them, the only visible difference between you and them is the fact that on Sundays, while they sleep in you go to church. How does that draw others?
Is there something in todays society that says we can draw others to Christ by being able to connect with them over the latest episode of CSI?
Or is it that we know our loving Saviour offered us life and liberty even if we never win another soul?
If 10 converts were a requirement to get into heaven, wouldn't you be more diligent in witnessing? The sad, sad truth of the matter is that I feel 100% confident of a "yes" answer. Not only for myself, but those around me. We're so busy, so very busy with our tv shows, our friends and our hobbies.
But people are dying every day without a saving knowledge of Christ because we aren't being as diligent as we should.
The 2nd comment mentioned a Pharisee-like attitude, and it made me wonder. Do we run so far from the legalism of doing xyz, that we fail to see that we could do xyz out of a passionate absolute love for Christ? It's legalist to say you must attend church every single week and shouldn't miss. Does that give us the right to sleep in on Sundays? Absolutely. Christ did not promise salvation to those who attended church. BUT, it's the heart that is adoring their Savior that attends church every Sunday without fail because they want to know more, and they want to be with Christian brothers and sisters.
Are we so steeped in legalism and anti-legalism that we fail miserably at simply loving our Savior?
Let me ask you something, when did you last lead someone to the Savior? When did you last plant the seeds of the gospel in someones heart? If you aren't doing those things (most likely because opportunities aren't presenting themselves) doesn't that mean you need to re-evaluate things and figure out a plan as to how to bring those opportunities around? And not because of some bogus legalistic reason, but simply because your heart breaks over the idea of people dying, lost, eternally condemned to be separated from Christ and also eternally condemned to exist in a place of utter torment?
Or is the truth of the matter that we really don't care enough to alter our lifestyle?

4 comments:

Mountainbuilders said...

Ok, actually I think we are both saying the same thing but from opposite sides. Your previous post mentioned whether we would kick guests out of the house if it was time for church, worry about how people dressed for church and such. I think it is, at least in our circle of people, more likely to be legalism that keeps us from simply loving our Savior not anti-legalism. I think your point is that we shouldn't let some arbitrary position distract us from the real mission of loving God, serving God, and reaching out to others. Whether that arbitrary position is one of adhering to a bunch of man made rules or one of steadfastly avoiding man made rules. Our real purpose in life should be focused on God and not on the rules.

In a non-related comment let me just say that few places inspire me to think. I don't always agree with you, but your blog frequently makes me think and I like that. Now I have to go attack your latest post.

Mountainbuilders said...

Oh dude, I didn't realize it was going to attach my "picture" to my coments. Here's the thing, I thought it would be god to have a picture to go with my profile. Then I thought, I don't really need my picture up there and I don't have one in electronic form anyway and wouldn't it be funny to find some other picture and stick it on my profile. So that's why this guy that could be my twin brother is attached to my comments. Sorry about that.

Mountainbuilders said...

Ok in that last coment I said it would be "god" to have a picture. I obviously meant "good." Maybe you could fix that and just delete this one. Or maybe you've never had so many comments in one day. Anyway, sorry.

Flyawaynet said...

One of the best examples I can give is when dad got mad at me for wearing pants to church. He made mention of it behind my back to all the seniors in the church. To me that is a sin and so I felt that in a way that I had caused him to stumble. So, as a sacrifice, and out of love for him and to help foster better relations I went back to dresses and skirts.
Legalism got me right?
In the spirit of anti-legalism I could have just carried on as I was. It wouldn't have been a sin.
But instead, in a spirit of love I changed. The only thing I reaped here on earth from it was further criticism for having "caved" and not having a mind of my own.
Anti-legalism seems to say I can be whatever way I want regardless of who is hurt or offended because the made up rules are stupid.
Legalism says if you love God you'll obey these rules. Thus if you don't obey the rules, you don't love God.
I believe the Spirit that lives within me constantly beckons me to live in peace with all men, as much as lies within me. In the end it is the bondage of love - not law - that compels me to pray on the correct side of the building to keep the legalists happy. And honestly, I don't know what to do to make the anti-legalists happy, because the very idea that I would burden myself with their beliefs to make them happy makes them unhappy.