Monday, May 31, 2010

It's too easy to forget.

This is why we have days memorializing certain events. It's just too easy to forget. To live on.

Today, as I read the Americans Creed, I realized how painfully far off our country has gone. It's one of those things I know but tend to just not think about since there feels like there's nothing I can do about it.

The Americans Creed reads this:

I believe in the United States of America, as a government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign Nation of many sovereign States; a perfect union, one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice, and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.
I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it, to support its Constitution, to obey its laws, to respect its flag, and to defend it against all enemies. (William Tyler Page)


It's the last line that caught my attention:
It is my duty to love it, support its Constitution, obey it's laws, respect its flag, and to defend it against all enemies.

I tend to forget to defend it against all enemies.

I tend to forget that there is something I can do about it.

The Bible says: For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

There is a place for our soldiers to fight and struggle for our freedom. But the battles for countries and wars and battles were won and lost by the sinfulness and righteousness of it's inhabitants. It's won and lost in our prayers and supplications to God.

It's too easy to forget and just say a 'bless me" prayer, or "help me" prayer. To just pray for my niece and nephew, and immediate family and other needs that I know of or that burden my heart - and forget the very nation in which I live.

But we need help. Our Nation, our beautiful, God founded Nation needs help. We're breaking and crumbling and the situation is desperate. We need God.
So I just want to write this as a reminder for myself, and if it helps you as well, wonderful:
Pray for our Nation.

Only God can save our Nation from it's downward spiral. Only God.

No comments: