Tuesday, February 07, 2006

A hard lesson

You get in the middle of a problem, and you've tried everything you know to do so you finally turn to a trusted adviser and ask what you should do, and all they say is 'Pray'. Don't you just hate that? You want to do more, you have to ACT, and all they say is "pray". I believe in the power of prayer, but sheesh, I know my actions bring immediate results. None of this waiting around. The only problem with those immediate results is that they aren't always the results I was looking for. Sometimes they just put me in a worse situation, or do nothing - making my efforts vain.
I was looking up some scriptures for the post earlier and I found one that didn't seem to fit and so I moved on. But as I'm sitting here typing this out I was thinking more about that scripture. It's the one in Ephesians 6 about putting on the armor of God. I've always liked verse 13 that says "Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. " But then I decided it didn't fit what I was trying to say. But now I've changed my mind.
Imagine if you would, you've just put on a helmet, a breastplate, special war boots, you've got a sword and shield. Now ok. You're ready for war right??? Ok.
Now before you get arrogant and try to tell me you've done this so you can wrestle against the principalities mentioned in verse 12 "For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places" Let me remind you again exactly what the bible says we're doing all this for: that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand . That's right, we're doing this to be able to stand. That's how powerful the enemy is. But, it seems like it's not much of a battle if we're all dressed up in our war clothes and just standing around right? Wait, because the next verses tell us our battle plan, and I hate to tell you, but you're probably not going to like it at all!
18Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;
19And for me, that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel,

There's your battle plan fellow believers. We're standing there, in all this glorious armor, praying with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching with all perseverance and supplication for all saints; hoping that utterance may be given unto us, that we may open our mouths boldly to make known the mystery of the gospel.
If this is the battle plan laid down from the Commander in Chief, our Leader, and THE Great Warrior, what kind of soldiers are we to not follow His commands all because we feel the need to do more?


***You're so vain, you probably think this post is about you*** ;)

No comments: