Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Thoughts that even I don't like.

Every now and then I come up with ideas that even I don't like. Things I see in scripture that seem impossible for me to imitate. The idea I'm tinkering with now is an old one. I've squinted at these scriptures before and finally other things came along to distract me (thankfully) and I was able to let it go for the time being.

But I'm seeking a spiritual gift. And every where I go I'm running into someone talking about healing - and love and the connection between the two. And that finally brought me back to the verses I'd squinted at so very long ago.

Matthew 12:46-50
While Jesus was still talking to the crowd, his mother and brothers stood outside, wanting to speak to him. Someone told him, "Your mother and brothers are standing outside, wanting to speak to you." He replied to him, "Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?" Pointing to his disciples, he said, "Here are my mother and my brothers. For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother."

Every time I read that I get a little frustrated. Imagine if you were in a crowded church and your mom sends word from the other side of the building that she wants to talk to you. "These people are my mothers" seems like a cruel response. To me, doing this kind of thing to your mom seems like it should rank right up there under the unpardonable sin. But He did it, and seeing He was sinless, it wasn't wrong for Him to do that.
Therein lies the problem.
My mother is my mother. I've claimed a second mom that I'm hoping will do when my original no longer remembers my name, but it's still not the same. My mom, is my mom. Other random ladies that do the will of God... they're not my mom, they're not my sisters. And the guys? they're not my brothers or fathers. Those people (random church people that do Gods will) are in a whole different category in my mind. There's family. Then there's church family. Those two columns aren't combined in my mind.

But they were in Christs.

I just can't imagine, putting church family in a higher priority than my regular family. I've got chosen selects that I love as a father and brothers and sisters that I'd put right alongside family, but ultimately if I had to choose between the two I'd choose my family. Though, not necessarily out of love, but out of loyalty. But Christs loyalties were to His Kingdom family, not His earthly carpenter father.

I've got a lot to learn, that I know. And I just don't like the conclusion of putting your church family above your family. But aside from doing that, I can't figure out how to apply this lesson to my life.

No comments: