Monday, July 20, 2009

Listening for God

I was reading a post concerning Josh Wood. You might recall I had posted on him nearly two years ago when he was attacked and went into a coma. His mother still posts on his caringbridge website if you'd like to see updates.

The update I read today had a special Bible verse in it and I had to stop and read the chapter.
It was from Isaiah 30.

The verses I pulled out were 19-21. (Isaiah 30:19-21)

The whole chapter is about these people that went into great sin, and then the Lord says something interesting.

"And therefore will the LORD wait, that he may be gracious unto you, and therefore will he be exalted, that he may have mercy upon you: for the LORD is a God of judgment: blessed are all they that wait for him." (Isaiah 30:18)


I'd hate to think that my actions were making God wait on being gracious to me. I just found that verse especially interesting.

But then the next three verses completely got my attention:

"For the people shall dwell in Zion at Jerusalem: thou shalt weep no more: he will be very gracious unto thee at the voice of thy cry; when he shall hear it, he will answer thee.
And though the Lord give you the bread of adversity, and the water of affliction, yet shall not thy teachers be removed into a corner any more, but thine eyes shall see thy teachers:
And thine ears shall hear a word behind thee, saying, This is the way, walk ye in it, when ye turn to the right hand, and when ye turn to the left. "

I always worry about taking Bible verses that seem to be in a particular context and simply inserting them into my life and situation. It could simply be the typical issue like how you never notice a blue Jeep Liberty until someone mentions it. Then you see them all over the place.
I don't like red herrings.

There were just a lot of key words that I've been using a lot lately in this entire chapter. Even though it seems like an awfully strange chapter to take comfort from. Seriously, have you read Isaiah 30 lately???

But still, the minute I read those verses Angie had posted I dropped what I was doing and stopped to read the chapter. I had to.
Because when God speaks, everybody listens. Even E.F. Hutton. ;)

No comments: