Monday, November 06, 2006

For the Lord is with you

I've been focusing on the idea that God is with me lately.

You've seen the references in several posts and it showed up in my reading today. I'm reading 2 Chronicles seeing the leadership of king after king after king and this one particular kings words struck me.

The entire story is found in 2 Chronicles 20, and I'm not going to quote the whole story so here's the jist of what's happened.

King Jehoshaphat finds out he's about to be attacked and he's scared. The chapter relates a long prayer that finally ends in this statement; "For we have no power against this great multitude that is coming against us; nor do we know what to do, but our eyes are upon You.”

I don't know what to do but my eyes are on you.

The end of the story turns out that by the time Jehoshaphat's army climbs the top of this hill and looks out, all his people see are dead bodies. And then they spend the next three days going back and forth collecting all the spoil that was left. That's a pretty good ending if you ask me.

I've been plotting something for the last couple of days. I knew I wanted to do something, but didn't know what I could actually do, what I could get away with doing, and what I could do without burdening others with what I'm doing. I'm still stuck, but I've taken up Jehoshaphats prayer. I don't know what to do, but my eyes are on You. And while I don't particularly want to find a load of dead bodies at the top of my hill, I would like to find a miracle.


"Now when they began to sing and to praise, the LORD set ambushes against the people of Ammon, Moab, and Mount Seir, who had come against Judah; and they were defeated. For the people of Ammon and Moab stood up against the inhabitants of Mount Seir to utterly kill and destroy them. And when they had made an end of the inhabitants of Seir, they helped to destroy one another.So when Judah came to a place overlooking the wilderness, they looked toward the multitude; and there were their dead bodies, fallen on the earth. No one had escaped. When Jehoshaphat and his people came to take away their spoil, they found among them an abundance of valuables on the dead bodies, and precious jewelry, which they stripped off for themselves, more than they could carry away; and they were three days gathering the spoil because there was so much"

No comments: