Wednesday, February 14, 2007

My strange --but happy-- life

It was 2:45 am and I was trying to head back towards home. I'd travelled 30 miles to another town to pick up newspapers and haul them back to the people back in my town waiting for them.
I was parked at a stop light and my street was about to become a one way street so I had no option but to turn, and since it was a one way street I was turning onto I had no option but to turn right.

I looked to the right before I turned and was surprised to see three cop cars completely blocking the way.

I reversed just a bit and took the block just before the street I needed and came out just one block down and went back to the street I needed. The way was clear, so just before I turned right onto the street I looked to my left to see if I could see what the cop cars were all about.

There weren't any there.

It took me less than a minute to make that short jog down the block and I'm convinced I should have at least seen one of them driving off. It's just one of those weird things that happens that make you wonder if God just saved your life or if you're simply losing your mind.

I remember back when I first started making these trips in the dead of night for the papers. Heading back to the interstate on a main and seemingly safe street I noticed a man standing on the side of the road. I usually watch those people pretty close because I have this freakish concern that the person might be drunk and down on life and try to end things in front of my car. I don't know why I think this way, I just do.

This guy however, was different. This guy lifted his arm, fully extended and pointed a gun at my car. I'm not paranoid enough to think it was a real gun, it could have been a water gun, or just some dark object that looked like a gun I didn't know, and quite frankly didn't care. I remember imagining what it would be like (it's pretty easy to imagine, I've seen a lot of action movies) and I remember hoping that if something did happen that a telephone pole or sign or something would be close enough to stop my cars motion before I hurt someone.

My life is strange. But I like it. :)

No comments: