Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Experimenting with my walk - A series on walking in good works

I'm going public with this experiment because I want to be able to hold myself accountable by it. So I'm counting on your continual subscription to my blog, or occasional comment to keep me moving on. This, I believe, will be the very first recurring series I've done on this blog.
And, because I lack imagination, I'm calling it "Experimenting with my walk"
The plan is to post on this series once a week, and since tonight is Wednesday, I'll make the posts every Wednesday.
Sounds simple enough.

The experiment is the random part.

My life contains a lot of living, a lot of ME living, and something in my gut is clenched to the reality that I need to impact this world for Christ with my life every day, in every encounter, whether by doing obvious things or just displaying the fruits of the Spirit and exhibiting the peace or joy He gives.
But lets face it, it's easy to walk around in peace and joy and tell yourself that's a good enough witness so I don't have to actually do anything. When the truth is, I'm not doing didly squat. I'm still living for me. And that needs to change.

So, once a week I must step out of my comfort zone and wander into the unknown area of being a witness, a living breathing testimony of Gods goodness and love.
Then I must return to my blog and account for my efforts.

Just so I wouldn't be empty handed on my first post I'll share todays efforts.

1st and foremost, I began praying today that God would use me.
2nd, a random person commented on how they like that I bring my Bible to work.
3rd, another person took a moment to specifically tell me God had helped them.
Which led me to ask a question I'm trying to ask more often "Is there anything that I could pray for you about?" which, surprisingly enough, got me an actual answer.

Then, on the way home, turning into the residential areas I waved at a middle aged man walking down the sidewalk. He waved back, but then yelled to get my attention. When I stopped, he apologetically said "Nevermind, I thought you were a man and I need a ride to H.E.B"
Well, while I'm still holding a grudge that he announced that I look like a man, I turned around to pull up beside him and - despite my gender deficiencies - gave him a ride. I sat outside of HEB for 45 minutes waiting for him to come out - texting my family that I was probably the worlds biggest idiot because he'd probably just caught a ride with someone else despite our arrangements - when he came strolling along, pushing his cart.
We loaded up and I drove him home. I took a deep breath just before parting and asked my question, "Is there anything I could pray for you about?" And again, I got a real answer.
(I define "real" being something other than "Oh, I'm fine, can't think of anything, just pray for a blessing".)

By the time I ended the day, I had 3 names and issues that have been specifically asked prayer for. And I haven't even done anything yet.

In an absence of a "Pastor" leading me to food and in discipline for the 15 months I have to confess I've grown lax. I've allowed myself to back away from fellowship with other believers. And without that stimulation a lot of other personal study habits and reading habits changed as well.

I need to be a dead Jeanette, and begin to live and move and have my being in Christ. I don't know where to start, so 1 blog day a week is dedicated to this. If you don't know how to do it, feel free to start this challenge as well and comment on your results.

At least one time in this next week - I need to offer Gods love specifically outside of my comfort zone.

I don't have to preach a sermon and I'm not doing altar calls - I'm just loving someone, asking questions or praying, even when it's difficult to make the words come and initiate the contact with strangers/neighbors.

Last but not least - I didn't want this to be a long post but... alas, I am what I am - the most important thing I'm doing during the next days is praying for opportunities and help when the opportunities come. Because I know it changed the outcome of my day already today.

I'm giving myself the opportunity to embarrass myself or fail miserably. It's going to be a fun week.

1 comment:

Flyawaynet said...

THURSDAY:
I'm already seeing God work to help me in this experiment. As I'm working to carve out more time for Him and prayer and study of His word - I woke up 15 minutes before my alarm clock this morning.

Typically I get up 30 minutes AFTER my alarm clock starts blaring.

I've had a wonderful morningtime of prayer, meditating on a specific scripture God brought to mind this morning, and got a lot of extra stuff done I normally don't have time for.