Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Ok, my new todays resolution.

....for folks just joining us you need to read the post before this first.

OK, I don't really "do" New Years resolutions, because.. well.. my 'all or nothing' spirit that has never failed to get me into trouble usually has me starting the resolutions the day or week I think of them. I don't like to wait - unless we're talking about cleaning. So anyway, after all the blogging I've done so far, I want to tell you how this all started. Two posts back I blogged about how someone had given me Christmas ornaments on the very day that I needed a small blessing to keep me going towards Christmas. I didn't even realize I needed it but God did, and he provided. So, I've effectively decided that I too, want to be a blessing. BUT, not just to family. I'm already a BIG blessing to my family. They take my for granted I think, so they don't realize how big a blessing, but I am a blessing. But I think it's easy to be a blessing to those you love. See aforementioned blogging. I want to be a blessing to those folks that I don't know. The old lady carrying her groceries out of the store, the person walking down the road because they don't have a car, the person broken down on the side of the road (boy it's a good thing my mom doesn't read this, I'd probably be scaring her). But, those are the folks I want to help. The bible says when you've done it to the least among you, you've done it as unto Him. So what would happen, if I dedicated my life to helping those 'least'? Of course, who is to say who is the least? Well, in the verses that Jesus used to describe the least, they're hungry people, naked people (I'm so glad mom doesn't read this), prison inmates... I should get the actual reference.
Matt 25:34,25,26
34"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'
Imagine if we discarded wordly wisdom and actually said to some stranger that they could come live in your house until they got back on their feet? Imagine taking it upon yourself to visit people in jail? Imagine feeding someone that was simply hungry, or thirsty. How amazing could your life become, your spiritual walk become, if you actually transcended the worlds knowledge of safety, and simply did what God wanted you to do? Please note, God has to guide you, He wants you to be wise as serpents, harmless as doves. Godly wisdom keeps you from danger and harm. He can show you who to, and who not to help.
But, anyway.... back to my original idea... I want to be a blessing. To just follow God's lead, to whoever is in my path, and be a blessing. So, let's start now and see what happens. :)

No comments: