Monday, May 14, 2007

What are YOU thinking?

What's on your mind?

Think about that question. If you'll indulge me a bit, name the top 3 things that are running through your mind today.

My mind today has spent most of it's energy focused on:

1. An upcoming trip
2. Writing this post
3. Whether or not I'm going to follow through with plans I've made for tomorrow evening.


It's not very interesting is it?

Have you figured out your top three yet? Do you have 6 or 7 things and you're trying to figure out which ones might be 1-3? I completely understand. I confess, I've spent at least 20 minutes accumulative time (not consecutive, because that'd just be crazy right?) trying to decide if I should take a deck of UNO cards on my trip. I promise, it revolves around something more involved than whether I want to play uno or not, but it's still a solid waste of 20 minutes. Wouldn't you agree?


Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature? Matthew 6:27


So many of the things I think about are worthless, over thought, and fruitless. I'd go so far as to say the majority of the things I think about have no real lasting value. The trip I'll take soon; I've gone up and down hundreds of different scenarios and then other scenarios that fork off some of the original scenarios. It's maddening. Truly.


And these are they which are sown among thorns; such as hear the word, And the cares of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, and the lusts of other things entering in, choke the word, and it becometh unfruitful.


I don't generally wonder about things like this until I realize some thoughts have taken over. As though I just can't help but think about the situation, the event, the problem. When I've lost the feeling that I have control over my thoughts, that's when I reign myself back in and say "Hey God, I've got a problem here."

For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ: Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself. Philippians 3:20,21


It's hard to let go of the things my mind thinks about. But He is able even to subdue all things unto Himself. Including my pesky thoughts. He can handle it. So... that decided.

I think I will take the UNO cards with me, just in case. I am going to follow through with tomorrow nights plans, and this blog post, is all but taken care of. As for thinking about my trip, I'm just going to have to put that on the backburner and think about the only thing that makes the trip worth taking.

Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee. Isaiah 26:3

I will meditate also of all thy work, and talk of thy doings. Psalms 77:12

O LORD, our Lord, how excellent is thy name in all the earth! who hast set thy glory above the heavens. Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings hast thou ordained strength because of thine enemies, that thou mightest still the enemy and the avenger. When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained; What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him? For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, and hast crowned him with glory and honour. Thou madest him to have dominion over the works of thy hands; thou hast put all things under his feet: All sheep and oxen, yea, and the beasts of the field; The fowl of the air, and the fish of the sea, and whatsoever passeth through the paths of the seas. O LORD our Lord, how excellent is thy name in all the earth! Psalms 8

No comments: