Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Why...

It was a scripture that got my attention when I read it. I was reading in 1 Chronicles, and so a lot of what I was reading had already been covered before in the previous books - the sense of deja vu made it difficult to remember which chapters I'd last read.

But this time, when I read it a new thought hit me.

David did not take the number of the men twenty years old or less, because the LORD had promised to make Israel as numerous as the stars in the sky. Joab son of Zeruiah began to count the men but did not finish. Wrath came on Israel on account of this numbering, and the number was not entered in the book of the annals of King David. 1 Chronicles 27:23,24

It made me wonder about Gods promises. Why did God always get so angry about David numbering the people? or Joab numbering the people? Why?

At what point do you not test God? It's like being promised a financial miracle but never checking your bank account to see it. Or... maybe Gideon never going outside to see if the fleece really is dry or wet. Why be upset?

Was He angry because they were counting what He had said couldn't be numbered?
And what does it mean that they were always able to number what He said couldn't be numbered?
Maybe God was only saying that 'one day' there would be too many to number, and if so, I go right back to why get mad if they're numbering them now?
Does it all boil down to some unseen reason of their hearts as to why they were numbering the people?

It left me with a lot of questions. Things I don't understand - still - about Gods character and why He does what He does. Granted, I'll never fully understand the mind of God - He's made that clear - but when it comes to things that are going to made Him angry enough to start striking people down... Call me crazy, but I'd like to be able to predict how to keep that from happening.

Ultimately, here's what I got from the verses. If you get anything additional I'd like to hear it.

Mine is basic. Trust God. That's basically what I got. Trust God. If God tells you it can't be numbered and you're able to number it. Trust God anyway. Gods word is true. Gods promises will come to pass. Trust God.
Don't test Him and tempt Him.
If He tells you He's given you something, believe He's given you something. Sometimes that simply means not checking with the doctor to make sure you're healed.

That tiny bit of understand about the story still barely distracts me from the question of why God got so angry. But I'm content even without understanding. But, if you asked me why I was content, I wouldn't be able to explain that either.


Why

Why (I wonder why)
Do the rainy days have to come
When the storm clouds hide the sun
I wanna know why
Why (I wonder why)
When the reasons aren't clear to me
When it all is a mystery
I want to know why
And though down here,
I may not understand
I wont let go of the Unseen Hand
For it holds the reasons why

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Way to step out of your comfort zone in acts of kindness. Your right, it's odd sometimes because people always expect a catch. The Gospel of Jesus Christ is all Good News and people think there is a catch there too. I learned a new definition of kindness from a little girl at chick-fil-a..."Opening your eyes to the needs around you." Or as I am trying to live my life with second glance kindness. At first glance everybody looks fine, but at second glance, we begin to see what Jesus saw when he looked upon a multitude and had compassion. Quick example. My wife and I were on our way home from preaching at a church on Sunday. At first glance we saw a girl that was taking a walk, at second glance (we stopped) we learned that she'd just been thrown from the truck by an abusive husband. God was able to use us, when our eyes began to look for what he walked the earth looking for, our need.

Thanks for letting me share. I saw your entry when I did a google search on the www.onedfw.com million acts of kindness campaign.

PS: I'm the campaign director, keep it up! :)