Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Thinking out loud.

Sitting here, in the first even remotely quiet moment in 48 hours, I find myself thinking. So pardon me while I think out loud.

I need God to care about the things I care about. I need God to hurt over my hurts. Not the dumb things where my feelings got hurt because I got offended, but over the truly hurtful things going on around me today. I need God to hurt with me. I need God to hurt with those I love.

I get really caught up sometimes in the big scheme of things. Holiness. I just recently threw that word out there and talked about it. Spiritual growth, Christian living, the Holy Spirit, divine healing, signs and wonders, all more big details of my faith. But ultimately every thing boils down to a very simplistic point of view. Jesus loved me. Jesus loves me. I love Jesus.

Sometimes life is too hard, too painful, too overwhelming for anything but the simple. Jesus loves me. I love Jesus.
But then, sometimes life is too wonderful, too joyful for anything but the simple. Jesus loves me. I love Jesus.

I think people, scholars, big church names, teachers, preachers, anyone who professes to know anything about Christ needs to come to those moments when you set aside all your knowledge. You set aside the theology, you set aside the past, you set aside the future, you set aside the details that clutter your brain. And then you simply rest in the simplicity of the gospel. Jesus loves me. I love Jesus.

5 comments:

Mikey's God Talk said...

Thinking out loud is good. Life is hard. Jesus had a hard life. He lived to die rejected and alone. Jesus loves me, I love Jesus and He is with me and I am also with Him. May Jesus comfort you. He is with you always.

Anonymous said...

God is with you in your hurt. Curl up in His arms and sing songs. Jesus loves you, yes He does, yes He does. Let it go to God. You must let it go. Let...give God permission to take it from you. Rest...a support on which things can be put.

Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him.
Psalm 62:5

Chris Hamer-Hodges said...

You keep track of all my sorrows. You have collected all my tears in your bottle. You have recorded each one in your book. (Ps 56:8 NLT)

Thank you for these thoughts. Every teacher is still first a student; every shepherd a sheep; every disciple like a child at the master's feet. The more we know the more we realise we have yet to learn... but the love of God... if we let go of this we have nothing.

Every blessing

One Sided said...

It is nice to need exactly what God provides.

Flyawaynet said...

Psalms 56:8 - Thank you Chris. I needed that scripture to fall onto.

Mikey - That's a good addition to my simple statement "He is with me, and I'm with Him." :)

Nancy, you were on the same lines as Mikey "God is with you". Thank you both for taking a moment to comment. It's a measure of joy in itself just to see two minds from such different areas coming up with the exact same words "God is with you".

And One-sided - Yes, yes it most definitely is. That's one of the best things about God. The more you need of God, the more you find that God is. It's a thing of priceless value.