Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Keeping the main thing, the main thing.

I've been reading posts that I've needed to hear lately. I'll put the links to them at the bottom of this post, I hope you get something from them too.
I'm a fixer. If you're broke, I want to fix you. And it helps that I know a God that can fix anything.
At the same time, there's an obvious problem with that statement.
I'M a fixer. If you're broke, I want to fix you. And it helps that I know a God that can fix you.

God is the one who can fix you. Not me.

I know people that want answers. And I tend to try to give answers, when sometimes... most times actually, that's just not my place.

From Mike at "On Coffee"
But I believe that most people in our culture are not looking for someone who will give them answers to all their questions. They don’t need to be given a thousand answers. They need to be invited to follow the One who is himself the Answer/the Way. They need to be invited to a life that is other than self-obsession, self-preoccupation, and self-preservation. This is the way of the cross. That is the answer.

From Bob at "In The Clearing"
I hope I'm not sounding too awfully cynical here. I certainly do appreciate prayer, but I think we're training ourselves to be perpetual spiritual invalids, rather than forgetting ourselves and getting involved in the mission of God in the world around us.

And from Steve Timmis at "Elephant in the Room"
Why do our lives have a tendency towards ‘heaviness’, worthiness and intensity? We could rephrase that: why do we create crises?
Part of the answer has to be that, by and large, we don’t really have any!
That sounds like it could be a good thing, but crises are one of the ways we justify our existence. They are the way we give our lives meaning and significance. They somehow make us important, or are a means of soliciting sympathy.
But part of God’s glory is that he is the God of the insignificant, the mundane, the trivial and the incidental.
In Christ we thrive in the normality of our lives, and by creating constant crises, we rob God of the glory of his superabundant grace for the common man.


And

The hope of the gospel seemed to bring lightness to Peter’s readers in the midst of trials — so much so that others noted it and enquired about it (1 Pet 3:15; 4:12–19). Likewise, James 1:2 encourages those who are suffering to count it pure joy. This echoes Jesus’s own directives to rejoice when you’re persecuted (Matt 5:11–12), and not to be anxious (6:25–34). And so for the Philippians: gospel lightness means not grumbling, but joyful contentment in all circumstances (2:14–16; 4:4–9, 10–13).

In my world, sometimes I get caught up with things. Family, money, events, jobs, life... when for the most part these 'oh so important' events are simply that - events. Life. Life happening just like life happens for everyone.
And as these bloggers have said (if you go and read their whole posts) it's not that God isn't concerned with those things, that God doesn't care about us and our "lives", but that God wants us to be concerned with something far more important that forever overshadows those events.

I don't know about the rest of the world, but I know I needed to hear that.

No comments: