Friday, January 20, 2006

Charles Spurgeon

I'm reading a book online by C.J. Mahaney I'll tell you more about him in later posts, but in his book he had the most amazing quote by Charles Spurgeon. It read:

One week-night, when I was sitting in the house of God, I was not thinking much about the preacher's sermon, for I did not believe it. The thought struck me, 'How did you come to be a Christian?' I sought the Lord. 'But how did you come to seek the Lord?' The truth flashed before my eyes in a moment - I should not of sought him unless there had been some previous influence in my mind to make me seek Him. I prayed, thought I, but then I asked myself, 'How came I to pray?' I was induced to pray by reading the scriptures. How came I to read the scriptures? I did read them, but what led me to do so? Then, in a moment, I saw that God was at the bottom of it all, and that He was the Author of my faith, and so the whole doctrine of grace opened up to me, and from that doctrine I have not departed to this day, and I desire to make this my constant confession, "I ascribe my change wholly to God."

Amazing!!!

No comments: