Thursday, March 22, 2007

A little bit of politics

I generally don't try to be political. There's just too much that I don't know about politics, government, and history.
I was surprised last night when suddenly out of the blue at church last night someone said something unsupportive about our President. I got the distinct impression they wanted our troops home right now. I think my shock came mostly from how out of the blue the comment was, rather than surprise that some of my 'own' would feel that way.

This morning though, while making my routine trip up and down the MSN home page for their news articles, I ran across Richard Engals video diary article "I've seen so many ugly things" and spent some really intense time reading it. It's an intense article. But, towards the end of the article he mentions the "Love the troops hate the war" attitude here back at home, and he questions one of the troops about how they feel about it. I wanted to share this section of the article with you.
For the whole article click here ----> Richard Engal: "I've seen so many ugly things."

"The war and coverage of the war over time has become much more political. Especially as criticism in the United States has intensified. The soldiers here understand that criticism. They hear it. And they take it personally. They don’t want anyone declaring all of their hard work to be a failure. That means what they’ve been doing, what they’ve been dying for, has been for nothing.


Engel asks soldier: A lot of people at home now say, "Love the troops, hate the war." Does that argument work with you guys?
Soldier: No, if you’re going to support us, support us all the way, support the war. If not, go along with your lives and we’ll take care of it here. You can’t support the troops and not what we are doing over here. Because people are dying. You know what I’m saying? You may say, “Oh, we support the troops,” but you’re not supporting what they do, what they share and sweat for, what they believe for, what we die for. It just doesn’t make sense to me."

No comments: