Thursday, March 01, 2007

No, the devil didn't make you do it.

Is the devil your scapegoat?

I believe, and firmly so, that the devil does attack us. But, everything bad that happens to you is not an attack.

Do you eat out 5 times a week, then complain that the devil has got your finances all bound up?
Do you have a bad attitude at work and then complain that the devil is holding you back from promotions?
Do you drive recklessly then complain that the devil was attacking your family the day you had the accident?
Do you ignore your doctors instructions, then complain that the devil is attacking your health?
Do you fail to witness to your co-worker then complain that the devil is working overtime in their life and that's why you haven't won a new convert?
Do you constantly think about the negative side of things then complain that the devil has you discouraged?
Do you neglect your cars maintenance then complain that the devil is attacking you when you suddenly find yourself car shopping with no money?

I could go on and on and on. But I'm hoping my point has been made. So many of the things wrong with our lives, so many of the things that take our time and energy, money and happiness, are our own fault.
I know in my own life, I tend to let things go and go until finally what was a $20.00 fix, turns into a $500 problem. But that's not the devils fault. The devil may have started the ball rolling downhill in our lives at some point, but there's a time when we have to wake up and realize that we're now behind the ball running downhill and pushing the ball ourselves because it's a lot easier to push downhill than up.
Our time, our finances, our health, our things (car, home, appliances, etc.), and so much more are all messed up because -get this- we don't take care of them.
It's outrageously easy, and even spiritual sounding to be able to blame your problems on an attack of the devil (or worse, Gods failure to keep His promises). But ultimately, when I get to heaven and confront God with why He didn't give me such and such, He'll probably show me how He did give me such and such and I spent it (money, or time) on something else.

I understand that we do wrestle with principalities and powers, and that the devil does attack us. I recognize that when God is trying to do something great, or move at all for that matter, that the devil will indeed want to stop it.
But I also understand, that I'd rather complain that the devil has my finances than clip coupons.
I'd rather complain about the devil than do routine maintenance on my car.
And I'd most definitely rather complain about the devils hold on this sinful world than risk embarrassment by witnessing.

And I don't want to complain anymore.

1 comment:

One Sided said...

very nicely said.