Monday, January 07, 2008

An AWOL prisoner of Christ?

So I went to the link that Nancy referred me to.
The article lays out the idea that worshipping God based on your feelings is the same as baal worship.
That's very simply put so you'd have to click the link to get the writers whole point.

I've heard concepts similar to that my entire life. Faith, not feelings. But I've always had a hard time with that idea because I'm a very sincere person. If I say it, I mean it. I really really mean it. For me, the idea of acting/saying all the right things, carrying on even when you don't feel it anymore, is like yelling out how much you love carpentry when you hit your thumbnail with a hammer.

Several different thoughts have passed through today, leaving me a bit overworked trying to grasp all the depths of the thoughts. As I considered not wanting to say things to God that my heart doesn't feel, I considered how it would be using God. Giving Him lip service just to get into heaven. But then I thought about how despite all this, I still feel saved... so what if I'm still holding my free gift of salvation, but not doing my part for Him... I considered verses about how I've been bought with a price... even now, typing this, I realize that I've wondered about Gods level of commitment to me. And yes, I realize how that sounds.

When I first started tonights post, I ended up struggling with what I was saying, and I stopped for a moment and in the quiet of my thoughts the words Ephesians 2:13 came to mind. I recognized it as the verse God had pointed me to several months back, but I couldn't remember what it said. I pulled out my bible, and read again "But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far away have been brought near through the blood of Christ." After last nights post, it was really hard to read that verse.

I sat, trying to digest that verse and all the confusion of thoughts about how to respond to God right then, when my eyes went back to the pages of the bible. Darting from a random section to a random section on just the two visible pages I noticed something
...I, Paul, the prisoner of Christ Jesus...
I became a servant of this gospel...
For this reason I kneel...
As a prisoner for the Lord...
completely humble...

And I wondered how Paul felt. Did he feel painfully burned away from all the things he might have held onto? Is that what he did ever day when he 'died daily' crucifying his flesh?

No comments: