Monday, January 01, 2007

Happy New Year

I'm 25 yrs old, and single. I've never been married and have no interest to be married.

And with that "experience" under my belt, I got into a debate in Sunday School with two ladies, twice my age that have been married, divorced, and one of them remarried. The debate? How submissive you should be to your husband.

Towards the end of the lesson we ended up going down a seemingly unimportant rabbit trail, when the teacher of the class said something that made me think it was somehow ok to speak. I try and stay quiet in church and class just because it's a lot harder to get in trouble for what you didn't say. But yesterday, for some reason, I started talking.

I tactfully started my words with something like "I don't agree with that at all." Sometimes I even amaze myself with how foolish I can be.

At the end of the class everyone still seemed to like me, but I've been in churches long enough to know that we often put on a very good show of things. I can only apologize for my attitude and try again.

It could be that God is just trying to show my how very badly I need to become humble. As I look back over the arrogance of my words to women I highly respect and from whom I have so very much to learn, I feel like a child again. Of all the things I desire my words to be, ignorant or thoughtless isn't one of them.

The fact that we've started a new year means very little to me this year. My hopes aren't that this coming year will see me becoming a better Christian, a wiser more mature follower of Christ. No. My hope is that the next hour will see me become those things. The next day. The next week. For if I take care of this hour, the year will be taken care of as well.


But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.
. 1 Corinthians 13:10-13

1 comment:

One Sided said...

Did the ladies happen to mention that the act of submission is assumed to be with in a Christian household where the husband is Christ filled and honors his wife according to the scriptures?

Cause that is the only way that works. To be submissive to a sinful man would cause you to go against the teachings of Christ.