Monday, January 29, 2007

I will lift up mine eyes.

15 month old Phoenix arrived Friday with a cough. It's not too bad, and rarely even noticeable in the day time.

I held him last night as he tried to go to sleep but was constantly disturbed by horrible coughing fits that had him choking and gagging. After 10 minutes of the worst of it I began considering my options. I've been lectured up and down that I may not give him any over the counter medicine without a drs approval. At that time of night the ER would be the only place for approval or medicine and could take 3 hours if not longer to get that. The problem hadn't lasted that long yet, but I had no idea when it would end. So I prayed.

From the moment I began praying until 20 minutes later when I put him, sleeping, in his crib, not one more cough was heard.

I cannot remember the last time I saw an instant and solid answer to prayer like that. So I've thought a lot last night and today about what made the difference. My prayer started out telling God that I knew any relief for him through regular means was hours away. I told Him that He was this childs only hope of relief. And then I pleaded for it.

I went to God both heartbroken and helpless. and I can't tell you the last time I had to approach like that. I'm pretty strong, fiercely independent, and my hearts taken enough blows that I thought it was harder than this. But I never imagined how much it could hurt to look into the face of a child that hasn't been loved like they should. My heart has felt bruised since the day he arrived, and knowing he was sick, uncomfortable, and in the arms of a stranger broke my heart. I was desperate that someone should love and help this child and so I called on God, the well known Father and helper of the fatherless (ref. Ps 10:14, Ps. 68:5). And He most definitely came through.

I lift up my eyes to the hills.
From where does my help come from?
My help comes from God,
the Maker of heaven and earth.
Your foot will not slip with your God,

for God keeps watch over you.
Our God does not sleep.
He's with you by day and by night.
Abba, Father. Abba, Father.

Abba, Father, my God!
The Lord will keep watch over you —

a shade at your right hand.
The sun will not smite;
no harm will come to you by night.
The Lord will protect you from harm.

The Lord guards over your life.
Your coming, your going —
God will be there at your side.
Abba, Father. Abba, Father.

Abba, Father, my God!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I rarely read your blog without crying or tears welling up.
You have the heart of a mother!