Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Slowing down and pleasing God

It was 3am in the morning and I was speeding.

I deliberately slowed down from 40mph, to 35mph, but I was in a 30mph zone.

And I did all this, speeding down the road, next to two police cruisers.

Fortunately for me, they were too interested in a poor red sports car that I discovered later that they believed to have drugs in it. That's how I was able to break the law, right next to law enforcement, with no consequence.
I got lucky.

I even exchanged some quick comments the other day with someone about how "technically" you're able to go at least 3 mph over the speed limit without ever getting stopped.

The police will probably never fault me for going 3 mph over the speed limit.
But what will God do?
There are probably a thousand small things that I can do, and get away with. But I don't want to get to Heaven having done the bare minimum to get in.

Since this new year has begun, I've been focusing a lot of pleasing God. So many things in my life I have done to please others, or to keep someone from being displeased with me. And now suddenly I'm looking to find specific ways to please God.
And as I read, and learn more about the subject, I find myself thinking of all the small things that I do just because you can get away with it.
3mph might not mean much, but even 1 mph indicates that I don't have an absolute and profound respect for the governments authority over me.
I believe submitting to others, is more about submitting to God than the other authority.

So many of the little things, little wrong things, we do just aren't important. But still I do them. Though hopefully, I will quickly and thoroughly begin to root out those "small" things and call them the sins that they are.
I want to be pleasing to God. I want God to be pleased, and I want to be the one that gave Him pleasure.
I hate going 30mph, but I hate disappointing God more.

No comments: