Saturday, May 02, 2009

More than anything else

I'll say yes, Lord, yes
To Your will and to Your way
I'll say yes, Lord, yes
I will trust You and obey.
When Your Spirit speaks to me
With my whole heart I'll agree
And my answer will be yes, Lord, yes.


It's an almost perfect song. Almost perfect. Except for the part where I'll agree with my whole heart. That part is just a little bit much.

But I was playing tonight, spending a little bit of time in worship, and I got stuck on the song "Oh how I love Jesus." Over and over and over, I sang those words. Then the song changed to "Lord you are more precious than silver" and the last line "and nothing I desire compares to You" really struck me.

It's a breaking process. To realize that God is more important to you than anything else. That no matter how badly it would hurt to give something up, you would, because it's God who is requiring it. And nothing is more important to you than Him. And it's not always that He wants you to give it up - as much as He wants you to be willing to give it up.

This relationship is like nothing I've ever had before. Or even close.

Oh how I love Jesus.

As an aside: This is my 1000th post. Wow. I've come a very long way. And in that long way I've wandered through some pretty steep valleys, but also some pretty amazing mountaintops. I've also walked in circles a lot. Walking a long way doesn't necessarily mean distance.
It's been a little over 7 years since I first started walking in this amazing relationship with Christ. And a little over 3 and a half years since I started blogging.
God has been... so much and beyond.
I don't know what the future is going to hold. I don't know if God will really ask me to give up something quite so difficult. But I get it now. I understand this gripping love better, this binding commitment. And I fully expect, that while posts 1001 - 1999 may all be full of hurtful rants and crazed whining, I expect that post 2000 will still be faithfully bound to the One who I love more than anything else.

No comments: